Holiday Hazards For Dogs

December 07, 2020 4 min read

White fur dog in christmas hat and bow around the neck celebrating the holidays

Ho! Ho! Ho! Our favorite time of year is upon us once again! Although celebrating Christmas may feel and be different this year, some things stay the same — our love for our pups! Whether you have a new puppy or a long time companion, Cali Raw has your back on tips for Christmas and holiday pet safety. From what your dog can eat to if mistletoe is poisonous, let’s dive right in!

Pst. We also make great gift for your dogs 


What Can’t My Dog Eat?

Christmas and Thanksgiving mean that there is no shortage of food. You’ll probably see your dog patiently eyeing that turkey leg or even snatching it right off the kitchen table. Our pups can be especially mischievous when surrounded by so much food, despite the fact that not everything is safe for them to eat. So, keep an eye out for ‘em! 


Can My Dog Eat Bones?

The biggest question around the holidays is can dogs eat bones? Yes and no. 

Raw bones, we are all for, cooked bones on the other hand are an absoluteno. Cooked bones pose an extremely big health concern for our dogs. Not only can cooked bones shred and turn into sharp pieces that become choking hazards, but bone can also damage their intestines and digestive tract.

Raw bones, however, can help with cleaner teeth, fresher breath, and overall improved oral health. Not to mention they also make a rewarding brain teaser, keeping your pup entertained when they want to get away from all the commotion!

 Read: Safe Dog Bones



No Thanksgiving is complete without a turkey or ham to top off a feast. Little do we know,little pieces of fat that our guests like to give can actually be harmful to dogs. An excessive amount of anything — especially fat can cause health issues to our pups. Pancreatitis in dogs is actually caused by an overwhelming amount of fat in their system. Guests might not have another thought about feeding your dog some leftovers, so be sure to give guests treats you would normally feed your furry friend. 


Sugary Sweets

Chocolate is an absolute no. Pastries, cookies, and even dough are full of unnecessary carbs, high in sugar, and not to mention can potentially be poisonous! Be sure you’re on the lookout for these dangerous holiday indulgences:

  • Coffee
  • Coffee beans
  • Cookies
  • Pie
  • Macadamia Nuts
  • Grapes/ Raisins
  • Avocados
  • Alcohol and Cannabis


Houseplant Safety: Christmas Edition

Nothing says Christmas like hanging mistletoe or poinsettias to put us in the holiday spirit. But which ones are toxic and harmful to dogs?



This one a big one. If your dog has eaten any part of this plant, be sure to seek help immediately and keep an eye out for diarrhea and breathing difficulties.Mistletoe can accurately cause shock and death so be extremely careful and think twice before placing these inside the house. 



Toxic but not really! Poinsettias have gotten a pretty bad rap over the years but it seems like they aren’t actually that bad. They have a sap that can cause mild irritation to the mouth but other than that, if your dog accidentally eats a poinsettia leaf, you shouldn’t have to worry too much! 



Another holiday plant to look out for. Holly berries and their leaves can lead to belly pain, diarrhea, and even vomiting but poisonings are usually mild. 

Related Read: Houseplant Safety


My Dog Ate It Anyways: What Now?

If your pup ingested a plant be sure to seek veterinary help right away and seek out emergency pet hospitals. Both plants and food, like chocolate and grapes, could be lethal to your pup so make sure they are receiving care in a timely manner. Always monitor your pup and take note of any instances such as depressive/lethargic behavior as they could be indicators of more serious issues.


Antifreeze: What You Need to Know

Live in a snowy or super cold area? Then antifreeze is no new word for you! Antifreeze is a liquid that lowers freezing points so that our vehicles’ cooling systems can stay in working order. What most people don’t know, however, is that antifreeze isextremely toxic to pets causing fatal kidney failures in just days. Very small amounts of antifreeze are already lethal to pets. Just 5 tablespoons of antifreeze are enough to kill a medium-sized dog.

Symptoms Of Antifreeze Poisoning:

If you think your pet might’ve ingested any amount of antifreeze, take them to the vet right away and keep an eye out for:

  • Depression
  • Staggering
  • Seizures
  • Small amounts of urine


Preventing Antifreeze Poisoning:

Be sure to keep all antifreeze containers sealed in leakproof containers and out of reach from pets. Clean up any spills that there may be and take antifreeze to the proper disposal stations. Also, be sure to check driveways for puddles that may have leaked out from the car.


Oh So Shiny Lights: Hide Your Cords

One of the best things about the holidays is the lights, but pretty things also mean another thing for another pupper to gnaw on. Hide your cords if you can but if cords must be exposed, be sure to check them frequently as defective cords can cause electric shocks leading to burns, unconsciousness, irregular heartbeats, and can even lead to death. 


Watch Out For The Decorations Too!

We love holiday decorations! It really brings out the holiday spirit in any house, just be sure to be careful! Long strings like tinsel, ribbon, and ornaments can also pose a threat to our pets. Just a little piece of tinsel can get caught in our dog’s intestines even through their insides. Watch out for diarrhea, depression, and vomiting. 

The holidays are the best times to spend with our loved ones, especially our furry friends! Just make sure to keep an eye out for any irregular behaviors — we want our pets to have a good holiday season too!